Friday, August 5, 2011

Canning and Yogurt




I bought a whole bushel of peaches. Yup, 50 lbs worth of peaches. The only thing to do with that many peaches besides enjoy them cut up in a bowl of heavy cream with sugar and cinnamon is to can them. My friend Jenna came over and we canned the peaches and we also made and canned peach butter. It turned out really good.

I decided to be a bit daring. I figured that since I just made a couple of loaves of homemade wheat bread that goes so well with the peach butter, I might as well try to make some homemade greek yogurt so I can have a complete breakfast. I LOVE greek yogurt but I don't like the price of it. I was so thrilled that my yogurt came out wonderful and I added a but of peach butter to it and it was awesome! The kids loved it and couldn't get enough. I can't wait to see what I am going to try to make next, butter? sour cream?

2 comments:

Becky said...

Gosh Vanessa, next thing I know you're going to have your own chickens and cow :) Way to show me up as Homemaker of the Year ;) Love and miss you!

Brandon, Emily & Sydney Wilson said...

Glad to hear you've made a friend! Wish I could come over to can peaches with you and make Greek yogurt. I remember when you gave me all that pumpkin with lots of pumpkin recipes to try out back in Orem/Provo days. You are such the resourceful cook. Let me know when you plant your vegetable garden. :) Miss you like crazy!