Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Waiting For Forever


Last night I went to a pre-premiere screening of the new movie, "Waiting For Forever." I was part of the first audience to ever view this movie and was able to give my feedback of the film and speak with the producer, Trevor Albert and director, James Keach. Online the movie's synopses is that the producers responsible for Walk the Line and Groundhog Day have teamed up to tell the story of actress Emma Twist (Rachel Bilson) and her childhood friend Will Donner (Tom Sturridge). With her personal and professional life spiraling out of control, Emma returns to her hometown to an unexpected declaration of undying love from carefree spirit, Will. As a street performer with no real home or possessions, his enthusiastic, positive nature is driven by his secret belief that he and Emma are meant to spend their lives together. Will must learn the hard way just how unique his positive nature and view of the world are.

Originally, we were told that this movie was supposed to be a romantic comedy but I would highlight it more under "Romantic Drama" than a comedy. A murder, family deaths, distortion of reality hardly seem like a romantic comedy for me. The storyline of this movie is great and I found the cinematography and soundtrack to be fabulous, but as I whole I thought this movie was really weird and left to many loose strings for me.

I was also confused with the character of Will. His distortion of reality was so profound to me that I questioned his character wondering if they meant to portray him as mentally ill. He reminded me of someone that would be in a psychiatric ward. Even the two friends that saw the movie with me felt the same way about will. However, after discussing it with Albert and Keach, I found out that he was not supposed to be portrayed that way at all and then they questioned me with my definition of what "normal" was.

With a cast of Rachel Bilson, Tom Sturridge, Jaime King, Matthew Davis, Richard Jenkins, Blythe Danner and Nicki Blonsky I would have expected something else. Albert and Keach did say that many well named actors and actresses auditioned and wanted to be a part of this movie. As for me, I just don't see what drew them to this script.

On a different note, it was filmed in Ogden, Utah and Salt Lake City. It was funny seeing things like the Great Harvest Bread Company and the Gateway in the film.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh I'm so jealous! I've been waiting for forever(...no pun intended?) for this film! I wish you had more spoilers haha.

Im sorry you didnt enjoy it but it sounds like its got alot more to it than I had originally thought so im excited!

Sorry about this completely random comment but I help fun a fansite for Tom Sturridge so I have his name on email alert ;D

thats a really nice poster too~

sigh!! so excited for this!

Anonymous said...

I had a chance to see the film and was more than pleased with almost all the actors performance. I have commented before that there is something to be said for a film that doesn’t try to hide the core of the story through implementation of ultra violence, language, or nudity. It is refreshing to see those distractions left out and attention focused on the love.

Tom Sturridge does and excellent job with the character Will. Traditionally i am annoyed bye those that try to be different or overplay a roll. Tom nailed it. He was truly believable in his performance as this particular character. The true meaning behind his unusual behavior shows that even though we go through rough spots and wonder what happened to our lives there is always some way or another to find the good in things around us. Wills whole being is to avoid the bad and focus on the good. In reality so many of us are drawn to negativity. Look at the news for example... all it is about is a murder here, loss of jobs there, etc. For once why cant i turn on TV and hear about something uplifting and good in the world!.. well enough of my rambling. bottom line is i LOVED the film and cant wait for others to see it!