Wednesday, June 30, 2010

For the Love of Running

I HATE running. I always have. No matter how much one tried to convince me about "how great it is for you", "you just have to get past your 'wall'" or "it is fun once you get the hang of it," I always laughed and thought, "ya right!" I just never understood how people could run for fun. It hurts your feet, back, lungs. On the other hand, people never understood how I could swim lap after lap after lap. I guess everyone has their niche.

Well, recently in my trying to reach my goal weight mode, I have been walking and now starting to run the hills of Pepperdine's campus. For anyone who has been to Pepperdine knows that that is not a small task. Little by little I found myself getting better and being able to go farther with out fighting the urge to pass out and die on the street from lack of oxygen. So the other day I thought I should try the track just to see how I do there since it is easy to measure distance. I ran 6 miles ... and I didn't die!!!! I couldn't believe it! Better yet, I probably could have ran more except I had to go back home so I could take Isaac to a birthday party.

I have NEVER ran 6 miles. The farthest I have ever ran was 4 and that was once in my life and only because I was mad at Jim and didn't want to get off the treadmill to talk to him. So now that I ran that far, I am hoping to run maybe 7 or 8 miles on Saturday. (I have been running a couple times a week short distances). If I can do that and continue my runs when I go visit family, maybe I can actually run a half marathon by the time summer is over. It actually is starting to seem somewhat realistic to me. I am keeping my fingers crossed and I am hoping that my new found love for running continues and I keep impressing myself because it is such a great feeling and accomplishment not to mention a bonus with all the calories I burn! I know that many of you readers are runners and have ran 6 miles or more, but hey, wish me luck on this new adventure.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

LOL at not getting off the treadmill b/c you were mad at Jim. Good luck! :)

Danika said...

Best of luck to you! I, like you, only run when being chased by something big and scary. However, because I hate it so much I feel even more accomplished when I do it. I hope you and Jim get into a BIG fight before you try a half marathon!

Rob and Kat said...

way to go vanessa! you're awesome!