Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I Just Read...


I just finished reading, Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs by Elissa Wall and Lisa Pulitzer. I read it so fast. I couldn't put it down! Living here in Utah, polygamy and the FLDS are a big thing here meaning they are always a hot topic. When the trial was going on with Warren Jeffs and with the recent raid on the Yearning for Zion Ranch compound, I started to really wonder about the FLDS since everyone had their own opinion on the matter. I know that there is good in every religion and everyone who practices has a different view and experience. For that reason alone, I wanted to read this book. Elissa describes her life in the FLDS before and during Jeffs reign of "Prophet," her family struggles, her marriage to her first cousin when she was fourteen and her decision to eventually leave. It is a great, but tragic story that I m glad that she shared. I recommend that you read it!

2 comments:

Travis and Teresa Wilson said...

I am totally going to cehck that out because I to have been so curious about it. I think it is so sad so it would be great to hear an insiders view.

Brandon, Emily & Sydney Wilson said...

I've seen her talk on Oprah and on a Dateline special. Very interesting and bizzare! I'll have to read that one. Okay, so we need to talk soon. Miss you.