Wednesday, April 15, 2009

SoCal




f



f






Jim and I flew out early Monday morning to LA for an interview for the business school at Pepperdine University. Luckily, the interview wasn't until Tuesday morning, so we had plenty of time to look around and play. We drove through LA to USC and walked around campus to get the feel of it since it is one of the Universities that Jim applied to for graduate school. My consensus: beautiful school, BAD neighborhood!!!! After that, we went to Hollywood and looked at the Roosevelt Hotel, the Walk of Fame, the Chinese Theatre and the Kodak Theatre. I couldn't believe that people were walking around in pants and sweatshirts. I was in a skirt and a tee shirt and sweating! My tummy started to rumble so we took a small detour and went to Pink's Hot dogs. I couldn't wait to have a Pink's dog again and have Jim try his first one. If you go, my suggestion would be the Mulholland dog: long dog with bacon, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms and nacho cheese. It was the best hot dog that Jim and I have ever had! It is definitely a place to try. Later that evening after a brief nap in the hotel, we went to Downtown Disney to walk around and have dinner. I can't tell you how painful it was to be that close to Disneyland and NOT go in!!! In the morning we got up and going to Malibu where Pepperdine University is located. It is a pretty campus located right off the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu. The interview was FANTASTIC! They said they would let Jim know by Friday if he was accepted. Keep your fingers crossed for us. Since we can't afford rent in the luxurious Malibu, we drove through Calabasas, Thousand Oaks and Agoura Hills to check out "cheaper" places to live. With time to kill before we had to go back to the airport, we went to the Santa Monica Pier which was a horrible choice since the wind was UNBEARABLE!!! There went my nice day of sitting at the beach. I had a dress on and on more than a handful of occasions, it looked like I was Marilyn Monroe with my dress flying up. Since it was less than enjoyable, we went to Beverly Hills and the Sunset strip to look around before heading to Inglewood as our last stop at Randy's Doughnuts to get a dozen. Randy's has been featured just like Pink's in numerous TV shows, documentaries and movies. Jim and I both agree that they are the best doughnuts that we have ever tasted!!! The secret? They use potato flour in place of regular flour. They are the chewiest, and most moist doughnuts that I ever had! It is really close to the LAX airport and would recommend that small detour to anyone in the area. All in all, Jim and I had a wonderful trip. I am glad that we were able to go.

5 comments:

Romulo & Lydia said...

Did you chop your hair off?! I couldn't tell in the picture on the pier? We will keep our fingers crossed for Jim! Good Luck.

Danika said...

We're also keeping our fingers crossed for Jim. Thanks for all the suggestions! We were planning to go to Pinks but I've never heard of Randy's so we may just check that one out. Only another week until we leave for CA!!! Hooray!

Romulo & Lydia said...

I just RSVP to your baby shower. I'm planning on making it. And where are you registered? OR what do you REALLY need or WANT?

Brandon, Emily & Sydney Wilson said...

Okay....I really need to call you. I had no idea he was interviewing with Pepperdine. That is so close to my neck of the woods. I have a family friend at the Pepperdine law school right now. Okay...and I love the hair cut. I am so ready to chop mine that short. So..I'm guessing Isaac didn't go on the trip since he wasn't mentioned in the details. Also, I'm back to "working out"...not working...Sydney and Ellie are watched at the YMCA childcare while I workout every morning for an hour. Miss you so much...love that belly growing....and now I miss So Cal after hearing of the visit you had.

Travis and Teresa Wilson said...

I LOVE your hair it looks amazing on you! How fun good luck Jim.