Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Na' Ka'ao


Since being in Utah is extremely hard in the winter, I remind Jim constantly about how nice and warm Hawaii is. Jim always just laughs it off. Ever since I left the little town of Laie, I have always wanted to go back. Well, since Jim can't bring me to Hawaii, he did the next best thing. He took me to the BYU Luau that was held in the Marriott Center at BYU. I was really excited because Jim and I never get to go on "dates" let alone one that involves dinner adn a live show. This years luau was themed "Na' Ka'ao" or "Legends of Love." Each island in Polynesia was represented telling their own legends about love through dance and song. We really enjoyed the show and the Samoan fire dancer was awesome!
Right before the show started I noticed a girl that I knew from BYU Hawaii. Jim said that I should go say hi, but I wasn't 100 % sure it was her. Then, I saw her brother and sister and then I new who it was, Liz Logan, my old bishop's daughter from Hawaii. After much encouragement from Jim, I wasn't sure if she would remember me, I went over and said hi. I was relieved when she did remember who I was. I was glad to hear that her Dad was doing great.
It was fun to relive a little bit from my past tonight and it really made me realize how much I miss being involved with the Polynesian culture. It also made me realize how much I miss my old roommates and all the fun things that we would do. Maybe one day Jim and I will make it back to Hawaii or any other Polynesian island. One thing is for sure, I think I want to be a dancer in next years luau.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss you too!!!!! (hopefully I'm one of the old roomies that you miss!!! he hee) I miss Hawaii as well, but realize it's going to be a while before we have the time or money to return. That's awesome that you got a little Hawaii in your life even if just for one night!

Brandon, Emily & Sydney Wilson said...

I'm glad you got a little aloha love in your life and that Jim is sensitive to your needs of revisiting the islands, even if it was within the Marriott center and not in Laie. Cool that you saw Liz. Thought Abbey was the only once at BYU. Miss you and the bus stop house. em*