Saturday, March 29, 2008

Festival of Holi










Sorry there are so many pictures, but today was the Festival of Holi (aka Festival of Colors) at the Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork, Utah and I am so excited to show everyone them because we had such a great time! This is my third time going and I was really excited that my brother, Ryan, was able to join me along with my friends, Becky and Kristin. We had dinner at the Temple, looked at the llamas and watch performers doing dance and telling stories. The real thrill of this festival, beside looking in the gift shop and going in the temple, is when Holi, the witch, gets engulfed in flames by the big fire and everyone throws powdered paint on one another. For the first few minutes, you can barely see in front of you because there is so much paint in the air and your eyes, but it eventually clears up. You walk away covered in paint! I don't know of any other festival where it is OK to throw paint on people and where people welcome it. During and after the paint is thrown, everyone sings and chants the mantras of the Hare Krishna.
After an exciting day of paint throwing, it is fun to hop in the shower and see the water turn different colors and the suds of your shampoo turn red. I think the best is when you blow your nose or clean your ears with a q-tip and low and behold, all you have is paint.
I think everyone should go to this. It is so much fun! I can't wait until next year!!

1 comment: