Thursday, August 21, 2008

I am proud of myself


I have never been a runner nor have I ever enjoyed running. It was the one thing that I absolutely dreaded during PE and could never understand how my friends enjoyed being on the track team. I mean, its hard on the joints, my boobs practically meet my chin even-though I wear a regular bra and a sports bra and it feels like your lungs are going to pop out of your chest just so they can fill up with air! Meanwhile, you start to see spots and your vision becomes blurry due to lack of oxygen to the brain. I guess on the other hand, people couldn't understand why I enjoyed swimming lap after lap and really NOT being able to breath due to the mere fact that my face was always under water a good portion of the time.

Nonetheless, This past year I have tried to take up running. I emphasize "TRY." One of my goals in life is to run a half marathon and then a marathon. I am a little perplexed by this ambitious goal of mine because I am constantly pondering the question, "How do I get myself able to run 26 miles AND enjoy doing it?" I have read and bought books, articles etc. Well, little by little have I tried to run and little by little I am able to increase my distance but not speed; I figure that I can work on that later. Well, I am proud to say that today I ran 4 miles without stopping! I know to some of you "runners" out there, this isn't a major feat. But let me tell you that I have NEVER and may I repeat NEVER ran that far in my life! Even in high school was I was really fit in a lot of aspects but maybe not fit in running since I could barely run a mile. So not that I am even close to my goals, I am thrilled that I am getting closer to achieving them; even if it is little by little. And the best part about the run today was that I found out that I was OK. I didn't die and I actually enjoyed it... a little. Maybe there is hope.

3 comments:

Travis and Teresa Wilson said...

I hear ya I am a terrible runner and i have those same goals. 4 miles is so good especially without stopping. Congrats toyou I think I would be just as excited as you are.

Danielle said...

I'm impressed! I've never run 4 miles in my life. I hate running too. I'd much rather swim. :)

Brandon, Emily & Sydney Wilson said...

I don't know anyone with a big chest who has ever really enjoyed running....so you have much to be proud of and I'm so happy for you. As you are getting more fit...I'm packin' on the pounds and hating it! Gained 10 lbs. in the past 6 weeks. The rate I'm going, this baby is gonna be a 10 pounder for sure. I'm calling tomorrow....going through Vanessa withdrawls.