Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Haka

For those of you who have not yet figured it out, Jim and I LOVE the Polynesian culture. One aspect that we really enjoy is the Haka, a Maori war dance made to intimidate their opponents. Nowadays, it is also used for amusement, celebrations and greetings. It is fun to watch the facial contortions of tongues sticking out and eyes bugging out and also hearing all the hitting and slapping of the body. Jim has been trying to teach Isaac the Haka for a while, so I thought I would take a video of Isaac's interpretation of this dance. Below is a video of the actual Haka done by the All Blacks of New Zealand.

3 comments:

Brandon, Emily & Sydney Wilson said...

This has got to be the hottest thing I witnessed while living in Australia and Hawaii. Love to see Isaac be taught some very important aspects of Maori culture.

Stephanie said...

That dance would sure intimidate me if I were on the opposite team. It's fun to watch though. By the way, Isaac is sure getting big.

Anonymous said...

Jim and Family,
well I haven't seen you since your wedding... I thought you fell off the face of the earth but it turns out you are just in Utah... just kidding. I hope you are doing well and Isaac is beautiful!!! I am glad to see that you are doing well and that you didn't fall off the earth.
=0) Jenn S. (From SLHS GHS)